Thursday 12 October 2017

The Camino: A Peaceful Unpredictability. Part 4. Pamplona to Estella


In 2016 I was walking part of the Camino de Santiago. I had started at St Jean Pied de Port at the start and after a few days I had reached Pamplona, one of the major cities/towns on the camino. Pamplona was a walled, cobbled city with a lively bar scene. I met the American lady that I had met in Zubiri and we walked together through the suburbs and into the city. We arrived  all of a sudden at the  majestic Puenta de la Magdalena, a medieval arched bridge over  a  sun sparkled  river , the Rio Arga. The camino then wound its way through a gap in the 16th century fortifications up a cobbled stoned street and into the cathedral area. 
The walled city of Pamplona

The municipal albergue was near the cathedral and  set within a refurbished early 17th century church, the Church of Jesus and Mary which belonged to the Jesuits. It held over 100 beds and was arranged in similar fashion to Roncesvalles in pods of four bunks each. The upstairs part was divided from below by a glass floor. I was staying below and was always aware of the glass floor above and would have liked to have stayed upstairs closer to the ceiling of the church.

Pamplona was the setting of Ernest Hemingway’s book “The Sun Also Rises” where he wrote about the running of the bulls in Pamplona. As well as the American lady, I had also met the Frenchman whom I had originally met way back in St Jean Pied de Port.  Later we all went to eat tapas and drink red wine in one of the many bars in Pamplona. It was a convivial evening. I ended up translating a bit from English to French. It felt good to be speaking French again – as if that part of my brain that used to speak and write in French was a dusty old room that I had opened up and was letting the sun and air in once again. It transpired that the Frenchman had been walking for months along various ancient pilgrimage routes in Europe. I had noticed on the few times I had met him while walking that he seemed to walk with great fervour – almost desperately striding off into the distance, a tall lanky figure. Making small talk I asked him if he would be doing this camino again. He looked sideways for a second as if collecting his thoughts and then facing us replied rather bleakly that it would be the last camino for him. We were all silent for a few seconds. I was unsure what to say and he seemed reluctant to expand . Then before all conviviality fled, he gave a watery smile, made an expansive gesture with his hands towards the various tapas crowding the table and encouraged us to eat up. We left soon after. I saw him later as I was strolling around the town and Pamplona cathedral. He was sitting in one of the alcoves in the cavernous cathedral head bent in an absorbed fashion. I did not disturb him. 

My next stop on the camino coming into the weekend was a village called Puenta la Reina. We were entering flatter country now, still in Navarro province. Arable fields dominated with small rolling hills and I could spot the odd field of vines and some knarled old olive trees along the side of the road. 
Poppies and olive trees

The village of Puenta de la Reina or Queen’s Bridge was small enough considering its geographic prestige. Just before the village one of the other camino routes from France, one that included several other routes that crossed the Pyrenees in the centre of the mountain range met the main camino route from St Jean and Pamplona and merged with it.  Thus Puenta de la Reina has been a place of some importance since the development of the camino in the 11th and 12th centuries – the first significant stop on the expanded camino. The river was wide at this point and the bridge was huge, surrounded by a grassy expanse. 
Disproportionately huge bridge entering small village of Puenta la Reina

In contrast the village was more or less one cobbled street. The albergue was small and very simple – dormitory fashion. Again I struck luck and got the bottom bunk. However I ended up swapping for a pair of French women who seemed stricken on entering the room to find only the top bunks free.   In the shower room the toilets had a chain that you pulled with old ceramic cisterns. I had the unexpected pleasure of being alone when I had my evening shower and sang out loud revelling in the echo that enhanced my voice. On the downside I left a load of toiletries behind that I only discovered the next day. I was mildly wondering why my rucksack seemed easier to do up early that morning only to have a sudden realisation later on the camino making me stop in my tracks – a flashback to having left my wash bag under a sink.


Back in Puenta de la Reina, maybe because it was Saturday or Pentecost or something, there was a rather festive air with many people milling on the street and clustered around the bars. I had expected a sleepy quiet village and was pleased to feel this lively, expectant air about the place.   A procession started up from the bridge end of the village and a band of young adults dressed in blue with instruments fronted by a huge trombone marched, singing and playing down the street. Everyone sashayed along behind them and the American lady and I got caught up in it all. A merry end to the day and we enjoyed it enormously. 

A few days into the camino and the weather was better – a little sunnier. I seemed to be escaping the blisters that were inflicting the other pilgrims/walkers like an outbreak of foot smallpox. I had various aches and pains but no worse than when I was doing a twelve hour shift in the nursing home where I worked. I was familiar with the shrieking agony of acknowledging aching feet and legs in my head, while at the same time performing various nursing tasks, generally on my feet. Yes I knew well how to ignore that all-encompassing weariness of being on your feet for hours at a time while trying to respond in the middle of the night to someone who needs emergency transfer to hospital or some such like event.  I was finding that on the camino I had the same aches and pains in my legs, back and feet but instead of having to shovel it all aside in my head in order to deal with the workings of being the only nurse on   a busy shift in a thirty two bedded nursing home, I could pause and look out over rolling pasture, rest my gaze on cypress trees on the horizon and distract myself from the pain that way – a much better option altogether. Again it made me realise what a hard slog frontline nursing was. Those bulls of Ernest Hemingway’s running in Pamplona, the Frenchman striding away from whatever troubles he was carrying. We all carry pain one way or the other and can end up running or trying to walk it away.





No comments:

Post a Comment